Saturday, July 6, 2013

Kind Stranger

Sacramento - July 1st

While cycling to Sacramento I passed by a great deal of farm land and wide-open spaces. There were not many places to stop and as luck would have it, I suddenly needed to use the restroom. I was in between two giant fields with little privacy from the road, but off in the distance I saw a small lonely house. I cycled up to the welcoming residence and quickly knocked on the door. A few moments later a tiny grandmother appeared before me and invited me into her home. After using the bathroom the grandmother offered to cook me breakfast and so I sat with her and told her of my travels. As she tossed flapjacks high into the air I went on about Support My School and all of the positive work they are doing to improved educational standards in India. The grandmother was moved by my story and was very excited to hear about my passion for service and community involvement. As I left the old woman explained that in a quiet area like this she did not get many visitors. She said that it was God's country and that she could stand in one spot and see the sun rise and fall. She thanked me for stopping by and said that God would protect me as I cycled to spread awareness. I thanked her for her kind words and hospitality, and then I continue on down the empty road.

No comments:

Post a Comment