Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Close to Home

Lexington - August 23rd

Lexington is the last major stop before I reach the finish line in Cincinnati, and I can't believe the journey is coming to an end. I arrive at The University of Kentucky and I am greeted by the familiar faces of my childhood friends, Colton Deter and Benjamin Abourjeily. Colton jokingly said that I was an ordinary guy accomplishing extraordinary things. To which I replied, we all have the chance to accomplish extraordinary things if we work in a collective effort. I cycled over 2,500 miles, climbed 9 mountains in the Rockies, and delivered informative presentations in 50 cities across the United States. At the start of this journey I had zero cycling experience. I had very little public speaking experience, and I never dreamt of becoming a public advocate for a community outreach program. But throughout this journey I was able to adapt and improve in order to make a positive impact in the Support My School campaign. I gained strength from those who supported my commitment to this initiative, and through our collective effort we where able to accomplish more than I ever could have imagined. In my last discussion at UK I spoke about the value of solidarity and community interaction. Where we develop our communities and insure that our children have the opportunities to become successful. Where we not only improve ourselves, but where we also motivate one an other to improve collectively. Even though my cycling journey is coming to an end, my initiative to inspire and serve others is just beginning. I will continue to be active in the effort to improve educational standard in India, and hopefully my tour will be the first of many Support My School bicycle tours. 


No comments:

Post a Comment